Experts tell us a child’s ability to read at grade level by third grade is the single greatest predictor of future success, because this is when they transition from learning to read to reading to learn. Any Education Major or Faculty Member can tell you that when a child falls behind in reading, they risk falling further behind in every subject.
Students who struggle with this basic skill have a much harder time making the grades to be able to graduate by the time they get to high school. This, in turn, makes finding gainful employment exceedingly more difficult. Some communities even go so far as to anticipate future prison capacities with an area’s 3rd Grade reading scores. By helping children to reach this goal, we are helping to put them on the path to lifelong success!
Some of the life-changing strategies at work through United Way Funded Programs include:
· Dolly Parton Imagination Library - Provides books each month from birth to age 5
· Read United - United Way volunteers working in schools to help struggling readers
· Literacy Kits – Gives families books, supplies, and how-to's on quality interactive learning
· Summer Book Giveaways – Helps children maintain and improve reading skills during summer
· Blast Off To Kindergarten Events – Helps children get ready for their first year of school
· On My Way Pre-K – A free year of quality childcare for qualified, low-income families
If you want to help Heart of Indiana United Way towards their goal of all 3rd Graders in our community reading at grade level, please consider donating to the 2021 United Way Ball State Employee Campaign by visiting https://www.bsu.edu/web/unitedway/how-to-give or texting BSU4United to 91999. For more Campaign information visit https://www.bsu.edu/web/unitedway.