Are you looking for a 400-level elective? Are you also looking for an engaging, rewarding immersive learning opportunity?
Consider taking PSYS 495: Recreation and Mental Disabilities!
We will be working with the Center for Performing Arts to design strategies for individuals with neurodevelopmental disorders as they participate in a recreational performance arts summer camp. As a team, we will evaluate standard recreational activity implementation (with a focus on performance arts). Ball State students aid the individuals and will gather and communicate important information regarding daily challenges and accomplishments. As a team, they will discuss ways in which the performers can reach their goals in the program.
This class is open to BSU students who
- Have taken PSYS 100 and is of junior or senior status.
- Have a desire to build relationships with individuals with disabilities!
- Are enthusiastic and energetic!
- Want to help answer the question: How can we use what we know to help design strategies that assist individuals with neurodevelopmental disorders like autism spectrum disorder or intellectual disabilities so that we can expand recreational opportunities to performance art and creative art activities?
This class is set up for the full Summer Semester (May 15, 2023 through July 21, 2023)
- May 15 through May 26: You will be reading your course book and we will meet via Zoom on an irregular basis.
- May 31 through June 23: We will be in Carmel working with individuals in the creative arts camp.
- June 25: This is the public performance where we invite the public in to see what the campers have been developing all month long!
- July 3 through July 21: We will meet via Zoom, or at BSU, or at The Center to meet with different types of therapists, as well as creative artists in the community to learn from one another and to share what we have developed.
There is travel involved in order to participate in this class. If you need assistance with travel, please contact me prior to enrolling in the course to determine if we can help with transport.
Check out the course flier!
If you have any questions, please reach out to Mrs. Fischer, MA, LMHC at email@example.com